Tuesday 14 February 2012

Fletcher’s tips helped me improve my batting: Saha


Calcutta : Wriddhiman Saha’s ’keeping has never been questioned. It’s the Bengal stumper’s batting prowess which has time and again come under the scanner.

But of late, Saha’s batting has almost matched his smart ’keeping. Be it Ranji Trophy or the Adelaide Test, Saha has done exceptionally well with the bat. On Monday, he added a sparkling 170, made in the Duleep Trophy final againstCentral Zone, being played in Indore, to his growing list of batting glories.

After returning from AustraliaSaha has been in prime form, scoring two consecutive centuries for the East Zone. And he accepted that the Australian experience has helped his confidence.

“After playing that innings in Australia (referring to the gritty knock of 35 in the first innings of the Adelaide Test), I became more confident. The coach (Duncan Fletcher) gave me valuable tips, which I have been implementing in my game,” Saha said.

And what are the tips? “He asked me to play freely… He told me to keep everything simple, to hit the balls which are in the zone. We also discussed few technical issues regarding my ’keeping... I can say that the stint Down Under really helped me to analyse my game,” he added.
Monday’s knock, in fact, was his third century of the season — his first came against Gujarat in theRanji Trophy while the second was against North Zone in the ongoing Duleep Trophy.

“I had a simple plan... The pitch was not doing much and I knew that if I stayed at the wicket, I will get runs. I hit the loose balls and was careful while playing T. Sudhindra since he was moving the ball,” he said.

On being asked whether he was disappointed on missing out on what could have been the first double century of his career, Saha said: “Earlier, I used to get disappointed with a lot of things. Now, I am more mature. While batting, I don’t think about what I am achieving or what I am missing. I only think about the team’s welfare and whether I am able to contribute to the team’s success.”

No comments:

Post a Comment