Sunday 2 September 2012

Glenn McGrath takes over MRF Pace Foundation




CHENNAI: Former Australia fast bowler Glenn McGrath assumed directorial responsibilities at the MRF Pace Foundation here, taking over from countryman and legend Dennis Lillee, who served at the establishment for 25 years.

“It's a great honour for me to work with the MRF Pace academy. I know it won't be possible to replace someone like the great Dennis Lillee. His legacy will be hard to live up to, but I will try my best in my role as the Director at the Foundation,” said the 42-year-old McGrath.

The former exponent of corridor bowling acknowledged the role of the Pace Foundation in unearthing and guiding talent in the country. “MRF Pace academy's contribution to world cricket is immense. I have trained under Lillee at the foundation and have experienced the first-hand world class facilities on offer,” he said.

Lillee, after an extended stint in Chennai, said he would have fond memories of working here. “It was an extremely hard decision to leave the foundation. Chennai is like a second home for me. I will definitely miss being at the Foundation, working with the staff and trainees which was an integral part of my life for the past 25 years. It has been a long journey.

“We had to begin from scratch, building facilities and slowly developing into a world class academy. Our efforts and hard work have paid off and it pleases me to see bowlers trained at the foundation leading the Indian attack,” he said.

Lillee maintained that McGrath was the right person to succeed him and hoped the academy would continued to grow under its new helmsman. “McGrath is the perfect choice to carry the vision of the Foundation forward. I am happy for him and wish him all the best in his new role. I am certain that the MRF Pace academy will produce many more international fast bowlers under his guidance.”

No comments:

Post a Comment