Monday 3 September 2012

I like playing under pressure: Kohli




Bangalore: Virat Kohli rues that a lapse in concentration cut short his innings on Sunday, but nevertheless he is happy to have scored a century.

Speaking at a media conference at the end of the third day’s play, Kohli, who scored 103, revealed that he likes playing under pressure.

The following are excerpts

Feelings on getting a century

It’s always satisfying to get a hundred in Tests. Getting my maiden Test hundred in Adelaide against Australia earlier this year was also special… I think what makes the experience (of scoring a hundred) all the more satisfying is that when you’re being tested as a batsman, when your patience and technique are being tested, it always pleases you if you get a hundred.

If he regrets his dismissal

It was a bit unfortunate that I could not make it a big one... That was the only delivery in my innings when I didn’t look at the bowler’s hand… (Tim) Southee bowled cross-seam and I played for the away moving one. There was a lapse in my concentration. But it’s a lesson for me… Hopefully, when I cross that 100 mark next time, I will not lose my concentration.


The difference between batting at No.3 (in ODIs) and No.5 (in Tests)

It’s very different… The mindset that you need is different, if you’re batting in the top three… You’re ready to go in and be a part of the action. Batting in the middle-order is different. You might be in at the 10th over or you might come in at 200 for three. You might remain padded up for long hours, so you need to concentrate for long hours even before going in to bat.

On whether he has brought about a change in technique

Yes I have... In the first Test, I played too many attacking shots because we hadn’t played any practice match and we were playing a Test after seven months. Personally, I thought it was difficult to adapt suddenly. And then we batted first too. Unless you have played some practice games, you seem to be in a hurry at times. So, I worked on that aspect before this game.

Failure of the Indian top-order

I like playing under pressure … It is under the pressure situations when you have the opportunity to score more runs because the bowler attacks you more. The field is always open. Since the bowler attacks your stumps, it becomes easy for you to strike the ball.

Whether the scale is tilted towards India after the third day’s play

We didn’t start the day well… But now that we look back on the day, after taking nine wickets, we’d like to think that the scale is certainly tilted in our favour, because there are still two more days to go. Today, what would have played in their minds was that they have to score a big total or else we would have it easy. I think they could not handle this pressure. Tomorrow [Monday], our first target will be to wrap the New Zealand innings. Then, we will have a lot of time to chase down the score.

On what would be the key on Monday

I think patience will be key... When you have a lot of time, you don’t have to think about the target. You need to play calmly.

On how the wicket will behave on the fourth day

I don’t think that the wicket has anything in it… Their seam bowlers have bowled well. I think the freshness of the wicket that stays for about an hour at the start is the only factor that we have to deal with if we dismiss them early. The important thing is we have to apply ourselves and show character.

The crowd support

It’s very important for cricketers to have people cheering you. It could help you in situations where things are not going in your favour… If the crowd’s behind you, things could turn around pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment