Tuesday 28 August 2012

Focussed on my performance, not comparisons: Kohli




New Delhi: India’s young middle-order batsman Virat Kohli is known to display his emotions, but he says that he is now trying to control his aggression so that his behaviour does not go over the top.

The 23-year-old Kohli said that he had this habit since childhood. “I had this habit from childhood."

“I never liked being out, whether I am out on zero or I score a century. I get angry…"

“Occasionally, I shout abuses, but, of late, I am trying to control my aggression, so that my behaviour doesn’t go over the top. I had broken too many bats in my childhood,” Kohli said.

Many believe Kohli, who had led the Indian under-19 team to World Cup glory in 2008, is captaincy material and will eventually one day replace Mahendra Singh Dhoni at the helm of affairs.

But he refuted such suggestions. “No, I don’t think so... As a captain, he has done a lot for Team India. I learnt a lot as a vice-captain to Dhoni,” he said during a television programme.

Speaking on Sachin Tendulkar, Kohli said: “I feel really blessed when people start comparing me with Sachin, but I keep myself focused on my performance, and not on such comparisons."

“I literally worship him, so, I don’t see too much in this comparison.”

“No cricketer has been able to score one hundred centuries like Sachin has done,” he added.

The Delhi batsman also disagreed with the view that the selectors had taken an emotional decision by rushing Yuvraj Singh into international cricket after illness.

Yuvraj, who has recovered from a rare germ cell cancer, has been included in the Indian squad for the two-match T20 series against New Zealand and the World T20, beginning next month, in Sri Lanka.

“I don’t think it is an emotional decision..."

“If he says he is confident and fit, then he should be given the chance. It should be a perfect comeback for him,” Kohli said.

“The first match after comeback always makes one nervous..."

“If he performs well in the World T20, it will be a big boost for Team India. For us, the World T20 is an important tournament,” he added.

Kohli was also candid enough to admit that he got distracted after playing in the IPL for Royal Challengers Bangalore.

“Yes, there was a bit of distraction... We had just come from the under-19 World Cup win. We were playing with foreign players, I did not handle it (the attention) well."

“I was even thrown out of the team, but my coach advised me to concentrate on the game and I got my focus back.”

No comments:

Post a Comment