Tuesday 21 August 2012

Youngsters need to take responsibility: Pujara







While Indian batting will not be the same following the retirement of legends like Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman, youngsters will have to take up the responsibility and make every opportunity count, feels Cheteshwar Pujara.

"Not only us, all the cricket lovers will miss them. Both VVS and Dravid have set benchmarks. It's a huge inspiration for the youngsters in the side. If we can at least try and emulate it, it would really help," he said.

"Obviously the youngsters in the side will have to take more responsibility now. It's difficult to replace them straightway. But they have been our motivation and now it's time to live up."

Pujara along with Suresh Raina, Ajinkya Rahane and Subramaniam Badrinath are in contention for the two vacant slots but the Saurashtra lad, known for his temperament and technique best-suited for the five day format, said he was not looking too far ahead.

"I'll look to perform and contribute to India's cause. I know the outcome if I win matches for India," Pujara said.

Pujara, who is set to make a comeback after a knee surgery in London, said he is hugely motivated to do well in the upcoming two-Test series against New Zealand.

"It was a tough last year. One of the toughest phases... I had to deal with my knee injury and then my father had to undergo bypass surgery. You always have to start from a scratch after an injury. The rhythm take a beating as you are out of practice for three-four months.

"But I never lost heart. I believed in myself. I knew I would make it once again. The support which I got from my father was immense."

"I miss my mother (who died five years ago), but I know she is there with me through her prayers. She is there in my thoughts, something that helps me to do well," Pujara said.

"Thankfully, I've now overcome that phase. I'm fully motivated to do well. I know if I perform well, I'll cement my place (in the side). So priority is to score runs and win matches for India," he added.

Speaking about his debut Test against Australia, Pujara, who scored a match-winning 72 in the 2nd innings, after failing in the first, said it was a memorable experience.

"I got out to a low ball in the first innings. I was promoted to No. 3 in the second innings and Rahul bhai dropped himself down (to No. 5) as we had to chase a target (207). It was a move that paid off. Winning a Test match is really a memorable experience," he said.

Pujara did not have a productive outing against South Africa when India toured the Rainbow Nation. Speaking about that tour, Pujara said it was a learning experience for him.

"Facing two of the great fast bowlers -- (Dale) Steyn and (Morne) -- was a big learning experience especially on bowling-friendly condition," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment