Sunday 26 August 2012

Franklin blames defensive mindset for poor show




James Franklin feels that the defensive mindset of their batsmen against the spinners have led to New Zealand’s dismal show so far in this Test.

“I just tried to keep my game plan as simple as possible… Obviously, there was always going to be some balls that were going to spin past me. I was just trying not to worry about them too much. The plan has obviously been heavily defensive-minded.

If I get to bat in the second innings, I have an opportunity to break out of it in terms of attacking them a bit more.

“I will obviously stick to what has worked for me in the first innings. There might be a little bit more turn on the back end of the last two days. I will get out there and assess the conditions,” Franklin, who batted nearly three hours for a patient unbeaten 43 in the first innings, said.

He, however, clarified that the conditions have forced their batsmen to be defensive.

“I don’t think our batsmen are inclined that way. We have been working on defensive options because we have to bat a long time now. We have to bat at least another day and a half. Our guys are capable enough technically to capitalise on any bad balls.

It may look like we have had a slow start but its also a reflection of how well the Indians have bowled.”

No comments:

Post a Comment